Operated by former employees who volunteer their time. Not endorsed or supported by the company.
Create a LinkedIn account for career and networking (Recommended)
If you already have a LinkedIn account, please go here.
If you are in the workforce -- even if not currently looking -- you need to be on LinkedIn. It is the master directory of everyone in the high-tech industry. (If retired, LinkedIn helps you reconnect with people you have lost touch with over the years.)
LinkedIn works in three ways:
- Recruiters and hiring managers who are looking for your skills and experience will find you if you have a well-thought-out LinkedIn profile. LinkedIn's search demo for recruiters.
- LinkedIn suggests "People you may know" -- based on where and when you worked and your connections in common. The suggestions are uncanny -- and actually fun. LinkedIn helps you reconnect with people you used to work with.
- Use LinkedIn's search feature to reconnect with people who know you and your work -- or to find ex-HPers where you would like to work.
Join LinkedIn and the HPAA's LinkedIn groups:
- Setting up a free account is easy -- and requires only name and email address to get started. Just keep skipping the steps pushing you to provide more information -- you can finish your profile later. To create a new account, start at the LinkedIn homepage.
- You can have multiple email addresses on your LinkedIn account. LinkedIn sends job leads, requests to connect, and some Group emails to your primary address. For most people, the primary address should be a personal email address. This maintains continuity through changes in employment, provides privacy, and avoids important emails being inadvertently discarded by an employer's firewall. In addition to your current work address, you can include former personal and work addresses on your account as secondary addresses -- so that LinkedIn members who know you by another address will be able to connect with you..
- Do not ever give LinkedIn access to your email address book. If you do, LinkedIn will send multiple request-to-connect emails under your name to every person and company you have ever corresponded with -- dog-sitter, city streetlight repair, etc. On the "Get started by adding your email address" screen, click the small "Skip this step" link in the lower right corner -- instead of the big "Continue" button in the center.
- As with any online service, do not use a password on LinkedIn that you use for any other service.
Our volunteers cannot add you to the HPAA groups on LinkedIn – you have to join through the LinkedIn system.
For best results, we recommend that you join both of these HPAA groups on LinkedIn:
- "Hewlett-Packard Alumni Association." Limited to HPAA members. To join, go to: HP Alumni Group on LinkedIn and click the "Ask to join" button on the far right. You may need to expand your browser window or scroll to the right.
- "HP Connections." Reconnect with former co-workers. Career issues. Post job openings. 81,000 members. Open to current employees and alumni of HP, HPI, HPE, acquisitions, and spinoffs. To join: HP Connections Group on LinkedIn and click the "Ask to join" button on the far right. If you are already a member of that group, it will display "Member" with a checkmark. Take a moment to click the gear icon and check your settings for that group.
You may also want to join additional HPAA LinkedIn groups.
- "EDS Alumni." For former employees of Electronic Data Systems Corp. Reconnect -- plus benefits, finance, and career issues specifically related to EDS service. EDS Alumni Group on LinkedIn
- "HP Alumni - SF Bay Area." For current and former HP employees living in the Bay Area. Reconnect -- plus local live events. HP Alumni SF Bay Area Group on LinkedIn
- "HP Connections - Canada." For current and former HP employees who served in Canada. Reconnect -- plus benefits and transition issues. https://www.linkedin.com/groups/4358315
To get the most from LinkedIn, use HPAA's LinkedIn Tips and Traps.
What happens next? Allow a few days for our volunteers to approve your requests. Then you will be able to find and reconnect with your former co-workers.
Questions or comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more mutual help on this topic and many others, join the independent HP Alumni Association. If you were formerly a regular, direct employee of Hewlett-Packard, HP Inc, or Hewlett Packard Enterprise -- or have a defined retirement or termination date, join the HPAA. No charge, thanks to HPAA members.
© 2018 Hewlett-Packard Alumni Association, Inc. • By using this site you accept these terms • Operated by former employees who volunteer their time. Not endorsed or supported by the company.