3b. Merrill Lynch issues with HP-related
Mutual help for those who acquired stock via employment at Hewlett-Packard, HP Inc, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Compaq, EDS, or other HP predecessor companies.
Other stockholders should contact the companies directly.
Operated by former employees who volunteer their time. Not endorsed or supported by the company.
This is an intermediate step in our step-by-step process to help you find all your stock, protect it from being treated as abandoned property, and prevent double taxation. If you haven't gone through the previous steps, start the HPAA's Five-Step Stock Recovery Program here: Employee Stock
Merrill Lynch and HP-related employee stock
Merrill Lynch is the current Stock Award Plan Administrator for both HPI and HPE. HPE indicates that spinoff shares should show up in your account at each plan administrator.
View, print or download your Merrill Lynch stock records online by accessing "Statements and Documents" in your account at www.mymerrill.com or www.mybenefits.ml.com (Merrill Lynch also has a separate local-office-based retail brokerage division),
After leaving, your shares are generally moved from an employer-paid account -- such as NetBenefits division of Fidelity or MyBenefits division of Merrill Lynch -- to a personal account at a different division of the same brokerage. Lot-and-cost data for your lots should have been preserved if you move between "benefits" and "retail" divisions of the same brokerage. If you move the shares to a different brokerage, you will have to use your own records to enter lot-and-cost values in the broker's system.
Merrill Lynch contact points:
- Call the Merrill Lynch phone number on your most recent ML statement.
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise Stock Option Plan at Merrill Lynch -- 1-844-473-3789
- If that contact doesn't work for your, there are two non-HP-specific phone numbers for that department on the Merrill Lynch website: Retirement & Benefit Plan Services
Incorrect Merrill Lynch 1099-B forms for 2017
April 14: At the HPAA's request, HPE Investor Relations checked with Merrill Lynch. "...apparently Merrill made errors in 1099s impacting about 500 individuals that had transferred their shares out of Merrill, or sold, before the date on which Merrill processed the Seattle tax basis adjustments and failed to properly reflect tax basis and cap gains for those accounts. All individuals were notified yesterday [April 13] and corrected 1099s are being issued." --HPE Investor Relations
Apparently applies to:
- HPE Stock Award Plan. Administrator is the MyBenefits division of Merrill Lynch.
- HP Inc Stock Award Plan. Administrator is the MyBenefits division of Merrill Lynch.
- Any US person who had HPE stock on Sept 1, 2017 at Merrill Lynch -- probably applies
Merrill Lynch email received by an HPAA member on April 13, 2018.
How this happened:
- Merrill Lynch is the current Stock Award Plan Administrator for both HPI and HPE. HPE Investor Relations indicates that they had provided the Micro Focus tax basis summary document to Merrill.
- In any case... Each of the 236 NYSE member firms (and others around the world) is expected to read SEC filings, analyze corporate actions, and update the records they maintain on behalf of their customers.
How to treat this on your 2017 US taxes: go back to 3. Micro Focus Tax
For more mutual help on this topic and many others, join the independent HP Alumni Association. If you were formerly a regular, direct employee of Hewlett-Packard, HP Inc, or Hewlett Packard Enterprise -- or have a defined retirement or termination date, join the HPAA. No charge, thanks to HPAA members.
© 2018 Hewlett-Packard Alumni Association, Inc. • By using this site you accept these terms • Operated by former employees who volunteer their time. Not endorsed or supported by the company.