HP Alumni Association logo

Operated by volunteers. Not officially endorsed or supported.

Step 1. Stock Overview    2. Stock Decoder    3. Where's my stock?    4. Check for lost stock    5. Other issues    6. Cost Basis    7. Taxes    Map of Stock Pages

Step 4. Lost property -- including lost stock, dividends, and other unclaimed property

This is part of our Stock Recovery Process. There is a link to the next step at the end of this page. If you haven't gone through the previous steps to determine which of seven HP-related stocks you should have, start here: Employee Stock

Advice and reference info from members.  (Updated Jun 16, 2021.)  Website operated by former employees. Comments welcome. Do not send personal information to us. info-stock@hpalumni.org

Unclaimed property

Almost everyone has some small stray uncashed check somewhere. This is common, even for people who haven't changed their address in decades. For example, one member found an HP-related check that had been mailed to a misspelled street address with an incorrect zip code.

"Unclaimed or 'abandoned' property refers to property or accounts within financial institutions or companies -- in which there has been no activity generated (or contact with the owner) regarding the property for one year or a longer period. After a designated period of time (called the dormancy period) with no activity or contact, the property becomes 'unclaimed' and -- by law -- must be turned over to the state."
National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators: What is Unclaimed Property?

For example, if a dividend check is not cashed -- and there are no other transactions initiated by you on the stock account -- by law, the "unclaimed" timer generally starts.

Before escheatment, a financial institution may classify an account as "inactive" -- which may have other consequences before escheatment.

You may be approached by companies claiming to have found money for you -- for example, a private investigator has been contacting ex-EDS folks. There is no need to pay anyone.

You can easily check the public state unclaimed property sites for lost shares, uncashed dividend checks, and other stray money.

Go to the MissingMoney website, operated by the National Association of State Treasurers, and check every state or province where you have ever lived, worked, or had a postal address: 

Be sure to try variations on the spelling of your first and last names.

If you receive a notice of unclaimed property, respond promptly in order to prevent the escheatment of your asset to the state.

"Potential Private Retirement Benefit" letter from Social Security. Reports the last transaction in a benefit plan that you were once enrolled in. If coded "A" -- in the previous year, you rolled the money into a different plan, bought an annuity, or took the cash. "M" if you left before vesting in that plan. For details, go to https://www.hpalumni.org/PotentialBenefitLetter.

For details of an employer retirement or health plan, obtain a copy of the legal Summary Plan Description ("SPD") -- either by logging into your account on the plan administrator's website or by calling the plan administrator's phone center. They are required by law to provide your SPD upon request. The SPD takes precedence over any other written, online, or verbal information you may be given. How to use an SPD

Lost stock, dividends, and other unclaimed property

Given HP's complex history of  acquisitions, divestitures, and spinoffs, you may be owed cash or shares.

Time to untangle your stock! No one but you really cares about your employment-related stock. You may have had stock in up to seven HP-related companies. Your stock may not all be in the same place or be registered to your current postal address. You may need to retrieve lost stock, dividends, or cash payouts, find stray accounts, or estimate your cost basis. An HPAlumniteam has developed a step-by-step process to find and protect your stock. Start the process at Employee Stock [You will return to this page as a step in the process.]

As with bank accounts, the only sure way to avoid a stock account being declared "dormant" or treated as unclaimed property, is to make direct contact by phone or postal mail with each broker and administrator at least once a year. Otherwise, depending on state laws and the broker or administrator's policies, members report that your stock may be escheated -- turned over to a state as unclaimed property -- which can be very difficult to retrieve.

Even though the name and address on the account are current and you are receiving stockholder notices, members report that neither cashing dividend checks nor accessing your stock accounts online nor being in possession of paper certificates prevents escheatment. You may or may not be sent a postal notice of pending dormancy or escheatment.

1. Check any Brokerage you use and with the current Stock Transfer Agent and Plan Administrator for each stock. See Where's my stock?

2. Check with state unclaimed property sites for every state or province where you have lived or worked, as described above. Also check the state of incorporation and state of corporate headquarters for every employer (DE and CA for HP, DE and TX for EDS, etc.) State of incorporation for each stock is given in the light blue columns to the right in the HPAA Stock Decoder Table.

Next step:  Step 5. Other Stock Issues

See also: Join the HPAA Finance Forum for updates and Q-and-A forum on employee stock, 401(k), pensions, and other personal finance issues from an ex-HP/HPE perspective.

If you were formerly a regular, direct employee of HP or HPE -- or are in the process of leaving -- join the HP Alumni Association. Membership is also open to heirs with HP-related stock and to those receiving company benefits -- spouses, partners, dependents, DEC and EDS retirees. No charge, thanks to HPAA members.

As financial, legal, and personal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and finances and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided here should be used as a substitute for the personalized advice of competent financial, legal, and personal advisors.

 2021 Hewlett-Packard Alumni Association, Inc.  By using this site you accept these terms  Operated by volunteers. Not officially endorsed or supported.