Advice and reference info from members...
UHC Letter #2 - *May have to pay Late Enrollment Penalty*
UHC has been sending two different Medicare prescription
1. "...your plan sponsor has decided to end your
prescription drug coverage" -- covered in a
2. "...you may have to pay a Late Enrollment Penalty..." --
covered in this post
Sample letter and forms on the HPAA website:
[1000 KB pdf file]
What I have found out so far:
- The two letters have no particular connection with each
other -- except that they were both automatically generated
by UHC's Medicare prescription coverage operation. (Between
you and your spouse, you may get two or more letters.)
- The "Late Enrollment Penalty" letter is triggered by
certain types of change in how your drug coverage is
- This letter is required to be on a DHSS (Medicare)
letterhead. The wording on this standard letter was
supposedly approved by DHSS.
To be safe, it looks to
me like you should file the forms that were enclosed with
the letter -- even if you have had drug coverage
all year that UHC and Medicare are both well aware of.
Better to be safe.
I've asked HP for a statement that clarifies this letter and
action that you must take. Will post it when I get it.