Join EER/WFR/Leaving Contacts Benefits Medicare Stock Pension Finance Career HP History Index
Leaving HP or HPE -- Layoff, WorkForce Reduction, WFR, EER, Enhanced Early Retirement, or otherwise.
Pragmatic advice collected from HP/HPE alumni who have gone through past cycles -- including actions to take in advance, even if you expect to stay. From the independent HP Alumni Association. (Updated Mar 23, 2023.)
1. Whether leaving or not, quietly untangle your personal business from your employer's IT systems. Takes several months. Based on member reports: Moving your personal business
2. Use the HPAA's Career Checkup -- hard-earned advice from members on evaluating your career situation.
3. Print -- and start using -- the HPAA's ASAP Checklist. Member advice on what to do before losing access to company systems -- and in the following few weeks. Supplements the official HP/HPE checklists.
4. Read: What I wish I had known before layoff, retirement, or leaving -- based on input from dozens of HPAA members.
5. Update and strengthen your LinkedIn profile. People check you out before working with you. Recruiters run searches for particular skills and background. In addition, LinkedIn helps you reconnect with people who know you and your work. LinkedIn tricks and traps
6. Members recommend spending most of your job-hunting time searching outside the company -- you are a stronger candidate while still employed. Very few members report landing during a "redeployment period." Many report losing critical time and wasting valuable energy on discussions about internal jobs that ended abruptly without explanation. Job Hunting
7. Watch "Job Searching for the Mature Worker" -- HPAA video with pragmatic, actionable advice. (Not the usual motivational fluff.)
8. Menu: Pension and retirement plan topics for HP, HPE, EDS, and DEC alumni.
9. Ask questions. The HP Alumni Association is a member-supported, independent association for former employees of HP and HPE -- and those in the process of leaving. Online forums with member Q-and-A discussions on details of EER, WFR/Layoff, COBRA and retiree health benefits, stock, 401(k), pensions. Join by simply sending an email. No charge, thanks to HPAA's Supporting Members
Comments and info passed to firstname.lastname@example.org will be kept in confidence.
If formerly a regular, direct U.S. employee of HP or HPE -- or are in the process of leaving -- join the HP Alumni Association. No charge, thanks to HPAA's Supporting Members.
Operated by volunteers. Not officially endorsed or supported. © 2023 Hewlett-Packard Alumni Association, Inc. By using this site you accept these terms.