Stock and options issues
Advice and reference information from Hewlett-Packard Alumni Association members. The HPAA has a Finance Forum where we discuss US personal finance issues from an ex-HP perspective. Join the HPAA at no charge: http://www.hpalumni.org (Rev. Apr 19, 2017)
Be sure to check state unclaimed property sites for lost shares, uncashed dividend checks, and other stray money. You may be approached by companies claiming to have found money for you -- for example, a private investigator has been contacting ex-EDS folks. There is no need to pay anyone. Member advice on unclaimed property.
1. Splits and spinoffs.
a. HPI/HPE separation. HP Inc shareholders (stock symbol HPQ) automatically received a proportional number of shares in Hewlett Packard Enterprise (stock symbol HPE.) Stock aspects of HPI/HPE split
b. HPE/DXC spin-merge with CSC. Several members report that
their brokers display obviously-incorrect info on their HPE and DXC
stock on their accounts. Not surprising, since It takes a couple of
weeks after the record date of such a transaction for the companies
involved to publish the final legal filings and details. Then the
brokers have to get that information into their systems.
2. HP employee stock plans.
3. Compaq, EDS and other predecessor stock issues. Predecessor company stock
4. Where are my HP Inc. (HPQ) stock records? Depends on how and when you acquired the stock.
5. Where are my Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) stock records?
Depends on how and when you acquired the stock.
6. HP Employee Purchase cost basis:
Stock aspects of
7. HP Share Ownership Plan (SOP) tax reporting. Very helpful information collected by HPAA member Alan Silverstein and posted on his personal website: HP SOP Tax Reporting Info (revised Dec 11, 2013.)
8. HP employee stock options and taxes. Advice from HPAA members: Stock Options
9. Option exercise -- obtaining your annual W-2 Wage and Tax Statement. You need your HP W-2 if you exercised any options during the year -- even if you did not work for HP during that year. (You will also get a 1099-B from the broker. You need both documents for every option exercise.) How to obtain your annual W-2 or final Earnings Statement
10. HP investor purchase cost basis: Stock
aspects of HPI/HPE split
11. Stock of predecessor and spinoff companies. (Agilent, Compaq, EDS, Indigo, Mercury, Opsware, Peregrine, and others.) Predecessor company stock
12. Acquisitions and Divestitures – unofficial directory of 156 acquisitions -- and 23 divestitures and spinoffs -- by HP, HP Inc, and Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
For more mutual help on these topics and many others, join the HP Alumni Association. You are eligible to join the HP Alumni Association if you were formerly a regular, direct employee of Hewlett-Packard, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, or HP Inc. – or have a defined retirement or termination date. Thanks to the HPAA's Supporting Members, there is no charge to join.
The Hewlett-Packard Alumni Association is an independent volunteer organization of former HP, HP Inc, and Hewlett Packard Enterprise employees – and current employees in the process of leaving. Operated by former employees who volunteer their time; not officially endorsed or supported.
© 2017 Hewlett-Packard Alumni Association, Inc. • By using this site you accept these terms • Operated by former employees who volunteer their time. Not officially endorsed or supported.