Employee stock: How to find it all, protect it from being treated as abandoned property, and prevent double taxation. (Updated May 9, 2018.) Questions or comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Page updated often -- use browser refresh button to display latest version.
Mutual help for those who acquired stock via employment at Hewlett-Packard, HP Inc, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Compaq, EDS, or other HP predecessor companies.
Other stockholders should contact the companies directly.
Operated by former employees who volunteer their time. Not endorsed or supported by the company.
Employee stock news:
Updates on stock-related issues areposted on the HPAA Benefits and Finance forums. Join forums for future discussions: Benefits Finance
- May 8: New spinoff. If you own DXC shares on May 25, you will receive shares in a new company -- with corresponding adjustment in value of your DXC shares. Perspecta spinoff.
- April 28: Morgan Stanley customers are getting different results from different divisions of the company -- depending on whether they were participants in the Compaq Employee Stock Purchase Plan or had transferred their HP stock to a personal account at Morgan Stanley's local-office-based retail brokerage division. Morgan Stanley issues reported by members
- April 14: Merrill Lynch: "...apparently Merrill made errors in 1099s impacting about 500 individuals that had transferred their shares out of Merrill, or sold, before the date on which Merrill processed the Seattle tax basis adjustments and failed to properly reflect tax basis and cap gains for those accounts. All individuals were notified yesterday [April 13] and corrected 1099s are being issued." --HPE Investor Relations Merrill Lynch issues reported by members
- April 14: Each of the 236 NYSE member firms (and others around the world) is expected to read SEC filings, analyze corporate actions, and update the records they maintain on behalf of their customers.
- April 12: Compaq Employee Stock Purchase plan. If you had HPE stock acquired under that plan at Morgan Stanley, a corrected 1099-B dated 4/13 is scheduled to be sent via postal mail. Morgan Stanley issues reported by members
- April 14: Amended return. You can file Form 1040X "...within 3 years (including extensions) after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later." IRS link [When you launch TurboTax, it asks if you want to file an amended return.]
- April 7: Version 14 of the HPAA "Pre-2001" spreadsheet released. Includes: Keysight, dividend reinvestment (DRIP), 2002 accelerated vesting. If you do not have employee purchase records -- or did not input your lot-and-cost information into your broker's system -- for a particular time period before 3/1/2002, you can use the spreadsheet to help estimate the average cost basis for the various spinoff shares. (Current spreadsheet is dated April 7 -- 14th version since 2004.)
Current employee stock issues:
- New spinoff. If you own DXC shares on May 25, you will receive shares in a new company -- with corresponding adjustment in value of your DXC shares. Perspecta spinoff.
- Micro Focus tax liability on 2017 return. HPE shareholders received shares in a UK company -- Micro Focus -- in the September 2017 spinoff of HPE's software business. Due to unique circumstances, this transaction is taxable for US shareholders -- even if no Micro Focus stock has been sold. Some brokers and administrators either did not report -- or reported incorrectly -- to the IRS. You can file an amended return. Micro Focus tax
- Time to untangle your stock! Many have discovered that they have stock in more companies (as many as seven), located in more accounts, and with much less accurate cost basis values that they thought. You or your heirs could lose some of the stock or dividends as "abandoned" -- and you could wind up paying taxes twice on the same income. A team of HP Alumni volunteers has developed a step-by-step process to help you find all your stock, protect it from being treated as abandoned property, and prevent double taxation.
First step: 1. Stock Decoder You probably have stock in HP Inc, HPE, DXC, Micro Focus, Perspecta -- and perhaps Agilent and Keysight.
Other stock-related topics:
- Join the HPAA US Finance Forum
- Stock records: Companies pay various firms to perform shareholder recordkeeping. How to obtain stock records.
- Lost stock: This is surprisingly common, even for people who haven't changed their address in decades. How to check for lost stock and dividends
Disclaimer. The information contained in this website, or sites linked to it, is provided as a service to the community, and does not constitute financial, legal, or personal advice. We make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to this website and associated sites. As financial, legal, and personal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and finances and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided here should be used as a substitute for the personal advice of competent financial, legal, and personal advisors.
For more mutual help on this topic and many others, join the independent HP Alumni Association. If you were formerly a regular, direct employee of Hewlett-Packard, HP Inc, or Hewlett Packard Enterprise -- or have a defined retirement or termination date, join the HPAA. No charge, thanks to HPAA members.
© 2018 Hewlett-Packard Alumni Association, Inc. • By using this site you accept these terms • Operated by former employees who volunteer their time. Not endorsed or supported by the company.