Mutual help for those who acquired stock via employment at Hewlett-Packard, HP Inc, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Compaq, EDS, or other HP predecessor companies. Other stockholders should contact the companies directly. Operated by former employees who volunteer their time. Not endorsed or supported by the company.
Page updated often -- use browser refresh button to display latest version.
Mutual help for those who acquired stock via employment at Hewlett-Packard, HP Inc, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Compaq, EDS, or other HP predecessor companies. Other stockholders should contact the companies directly.
Operated by former employees who volunteer their time. Not endorsed or supported by the company.
Stock issues for former and current employees:
- Time to untangle your stock! Due to the breakup of HP, many have discovered that they have stock in more HP-related companies (as many as seven), located in more accounts, and with much less accurate cost basis values that they thought. You could wind up paying taxes twice on the same income. Some of your stock or dividends may have been turned over to a state government as "unclaimed." Your cost basis doesn't affect your heirs, but they may not be able to find all your stock. A team of HP Alumni volunteers has developed a step-by-step process to help you find all your stock, protect it from being treated as abandoned property, and prevent double taxation. ("The basis of property inherited from a decedent is generally... the fair market value of the property on the date of the decedent's death." See Gifts & Inheritances on IRS website and Kiplinger website.)
- New spinoff. If you owned DXC shares on May 25, 2018, you have been issued shares in a new company called "Perspecta" -- with corresponding adjustment in value of your DXC shares.
- Micro Focus tax liability on 2017 return. HPE shareholders received shares in a UK company -- Micro Focus -- in the September 2017 spinoff of HPE's software business. Due to unique circumstances, this transaction is taxable for US shareholders -- even if no Micro Focus stock has been sold. Some brokers and administrators either did not report -- or reported incorrectly -- to the IRS. You can file an amended return.
Reference info about employee stock: Check your termination paperwork and the very helpful official "leaving" site -- which is accessible outside company firewalls:
- HP or HP Inc: http://www.hp.com/leaving_hp login=leaving password=HP (both case-sensitive)
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise: http://www.leavinghpe.com login=leaving password=HPE (both case-sensitive)
Start the HPAA's Five-Step Stock Recovery Program 1. Stock Decoder
Other stock-related topics:
- Join the HPAA US Finance Forum
- Stock records: Companies pay various firms to perform shareholder recordkeeping. How to obtain stock records.
- Lost stock: This is surprisingly common, even for people who haven't changed their address in decades. How to check for lost stock and dividends
Disclaimer. The information contained in this website, or sites linked to it, is provided as a service to the community, and does not constitute financial, legal, or personal advice. We make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to this website and associated sites. As financial, legal, and personal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and finances and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided here should be used as a substitute for the personal advice of competent financial, legal, and personal advisors.
For more mutual help on this topic and many others, join the independent HP Alumni Association. If you were formerly a regular, direct employee of Hewlett-Packard, HP Inc, or Hewlett Packard Enterprise -- or have a defined retirement or termination date, join the HPAA. No charge, thanks to HPAA members.
© 2018 Hewlett-Packard Alumni Association, Inc. • By using this site you accept these terms • Operated by former employees who volunteer their time. Not endorsed or supported by the company.