Independent volunteer group. Not officially endorsed or supported.
Employment verification letter. Experience Letter. (Updated Apr 11, 2021.)
Employment verification and experience letters for Hewlett-Packard, HPInc, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, predecessor companies, and successor companies.
The HP Alumni Association is not operated by HPInc or HPE, has no access to employment information, and is not able to forward verification requests. Please read the instructions on this page on how to contact the appropriate company.
There are three ways to provide employment and salary verification.
You need to find out what the specific employer, financial institution, or government agency requires. Details and member advice are given on this page for each method:
1. Earnings Statement (W-2 in the U.S.) or other company document that shows your current or former employment. [Go back to Employment Verification ]
2. Third-party employment verification service. [Go back to Employment Verification ]
3. "Experience Letter" from your former employer documenting your dates of employment, last job title, and -- if your request -- salary. [You are on this page]
Experience Letter from former employer.
With HPInc or HPE, members report that the company emails you a pdf file of a letter documenting your dates of employment, last job title, and -- if requested -- salary. For an exempt employee, the letter gives an annual salary figure (including any target incentive for a salesperson); for non-exempt it gives the hourly rate. HP says: "Standard policy is to provide potential employers with information limited to start date, end date and job title on day of termination. This policy applies equally to employees impacted by workforce reduction." HPAA members indicate that final salary will be provided at your option and that the company may indicate that you are "Retired" if the company has classified you as a "Retiree" -- regardless of what actually happened. If you worked at a company that was sold to HP, be sure to refer to the company name in your request. Sample Experience Letter
Helpful discussion of Experience Letters on StackExchange: Sample letters that got accepted and rejected
HP Breakup. On Nov 1, 2015, the Hewlett-Packard Company was renamed HP Inc. and a new, independent company -- Hewlett Packard Enterprise (no hyphen; singular; green-rectangle logo) -- was spun out. Portions of HPE were later spun out into DXC and Micro Focus, which have spun out other companies. Details: HP Breakup Note: HP Labs is part of HP Inc. -- but Hewlett Packard Labs (no hyphen) is part of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
HPInc is the legal successor to the companies acquired by the Hewlett-Packard Company before the company was split into HPInc and Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE.) Responsibility for any commitments to former employees of Autonomy, Compaq, Digital, EDS, Tandem, etc. remain with HPInc -- regardless of whether the employee's last business unit ended up in HPInc or HPE. This includes employment verification and any retiree health coverage, pension, 401(k), etc. plans. HPE is responsible for any commitments to former employees of companies acquired by HPE, such as Cray, Nimble, etc. (About the HP Breakup)
Which HP-related companies am I a retiree or former employee of? (Not always obvious.) Given HP's complex history of acquisitions, divestitures, and spinoffs, the company or companies that you are legally a former employee of may not be obvious. If any doubt, check here: Which Company
If you left a Hewlett-Packard predecessor, such as Compaq or EDS, before that company was sold to HP -- HPInc is the legal successor to your former employer and should have any records of former employees.
If you left the Hewlett-Packard Company before November 1, 2015 -- or if you left HPInc. on or after November 1, 2015 -- you are legally a former employee of HPInc. -- regardless of which part of HP you left.
How to request an experience letter from HPInc:
- U.S. Employment Verification tab on HPInc U.S. external HR support site
- Worldwide: To find the official contact page for former HPInc employees worldwide. (Employment verification, Experience Letters, payroll, address change, HR issues) HPInc Worldwide HR Support Country Selector If country not listed, contact regional headquarters: HPInc Offices Worldwide
If you left the Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company (HPE) on or after November 1, 2015 -- you are legally a former employee of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
- U.S. HPE U.S. external HR support site Tabs: Address Change, Employment Verification, Payroll. The "HR Help" tab includes HR Questions, Global Total Rewards, and Recognition Center. On right side menu: Benefits, Shopping and Discounts.
- Worldwide: To find the official contact page for HPE retirees and former employees worldwide. (Employment verification, Experience Letters, payroll, address change, HR issues) Outside U.S., go to HPE Worldwide HR Support Country Selector If country not listed, contact regional headquarters: HPE Offices Worldwide or HPE Corporate Headquarters [scroll down] Office of the CEO
Questions or comments to: email@example.com Do not send employment verification requests to us -- we are not part of the company.
The Hewlett-Packard Alumni Association is operated by former employees who volunteer their time. Not officially endorsed or supported by any company.
For more mutual help on this topic and many others, join the independent HP Alumni Association. If you were formerly a regular, direct employee of HP, HPInc, or HPE -- or are in the process of leaving -- join the HP Alumni Association. No charge, thanks to HPAA members.
© 2021 Hewlett-Packard Alumni Association, Inc. • By using this site you accept these terms • Operated by former employees who volunteer their time. Not officially endorsed or supported by any company.